It’s coming up to a year since I joined my brother and took my then four-year-old nephew to see his very first film at the cinema. The film was Frozen 2 and to say he was excited was an understatement.
I met them in the cinema’s car park. They had arrived a few minutes before me so my nephew started telling me where the entrance was and, when we were inside, where you queued to buy your tickets and refreshments.
When the film started he was on the edge of the seat. Literally. (He was so light that if he sat any further back it would close with him still sat on it.)
As the film got going he had a wonderful time, happily munching away at the pick-n-mix, the giant screen reflected in his eyes. And while he may not have followed the film’s plot completely, he definitely enjoyed his trip.
DISNEY: THE QUINTESSENTIAL FIRST FILM
After asking my mum a little while ago we think my first trip to the cinema would probably have been to see either Aladdin (1992) or The Lion King (1994). Suffice to say: I can’t remember.
With Walt Disney Animation Studios having released feature films since 1937, I would have thought that a Disney flick was the first film watched on the silver screen by many English speakers. However, a quick Twitter poll came back with a Disney film being the first for 55% of responders and ‘another studio’ for the other 45%.
While my fellow Eighties babies had Aladdin and The Lion King, Nineties kids had Hercules (1997) and Mulan (1998). However, Pixar Animation Studios was making an appearance too, with its first feature film, Toy Story, released in 1995.
Other young children’s films released by other studios around this time include 20th Century Fox’s Miracle on 34th Street (1994) and Universal Pictures’ The Flintstones (1994).
Do you know what the first film you saw at the cinema was?